SMIG

St Thomas More, Seaford

The Church

Memorial Inscriptions

Despite the somewhat irregular appearance of St Thomas More from the outside, necessitated by the growth of its Seaford congregation since 1900 of just six, the interior is impressive and its purpose as a place of worship - or simply a quiet refuge from the ever-rumbling traffic on the A259 outside - is immediately clear. Being relatively small and modern, it is not lofty and nor does it have the sometimes sombre atmosphere given by dark, ancient stained glass windows. Yet its breadth, apparent spaciousness and mostly plain windows, give it a light, welcoming ambience. The decorated windows it does possess are varied in style, but purposeful.
Window, St Thomas More St Thomas More, interior Charity, St Thomas More
[ Clickable images expand ]

Interior Memorials

GuinaneCannCookeDarby
Father Guinane Thomas Cann & Son Sarah Cooke d 1919 Simon Darby 1964-89
Pray for the soul of
Fr. WILLIAM GUINANE
Parish Priest 1961-1980.
Died 1st August 1982.
May he rest in peace.

[ Memorial stone below a
North window.
The Reverend Guinane is buried
in Seaford Cemetery ]
Dedicated to the memory of
THOMAS MARTYN CANN M.R.C.S.
aged 66 years; & of his son
THOMAS PONSFORD CANN M.D.
aged 31 years.

[ Lower right pane of an East window
(above, left) transferred from Christ Church,
Newhaven in 1969.   Both died 1906 ]
Dedicated to the
memory of SARAH
COOKE
who died
October 24th 1919.


[ Lower right pane of a West window
(above, right) transferred from Christ Church,
Newhaven in 1969.   Aged 71 ]
In Loving Memory
SIMON EDWARD DARBY
1964 - 1989
R.I.P.


[ Needlecraft, below a
larger work ]

Hill-Whitson
In memory of KATHLEEN MARY JOSEPHINE HILL-WHITSON who died March 25th 1966
[ On a North window sill ]

Church Building & Dedication (1935) and Consecration (1996)
  DOM
In honorem Sancti Thomae
More primarium hunc lapi
dem ecclesiae apud Seaford

Illmus ac Revmus Gulielmus
Episcopus pellensis die XIIo
Junii MCMXXXV rite posuit . L.D.S
Church Tablet
Consecration Tablet 'To The One True God'
This Church Was
Consecrated
On 22ND June 1996 By
Rt. Rev
Cormac Murphy O'Connor
Bishop Of Arundel And
Brighton.
 

Top Next page © Seaford MI Group 2013-2020

Sponsors