King's Mead School Memorials
King's Mead Lane, Seaford
|The King's Mead school war memorial in Seaford is tucked away in a corner of what used to be the King's Mead School grounds. To get to it from the south (town centre), head for Belgrave Road then proceed up Carlton Road for about 400 yards and look for King's Mead Lane on the right. It says "private" but access to the memorials is permitted. Cars should be parked in Carlton Road. Walk to the end, and the small memorial site is on the right through a gate in some railings. The name of the school was King's Mead; some roads in the area are nevertheless spelt Kingsmead.
Click on images for larger versions
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF KING'S MEAD SCHOOL
WHICH STOOD NEAR THIS SITE FROM 1914 TO 1968
AND ESPECIALLY OF THOSE
FORMER PUPILS OF THE SCHOOL
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE
SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY.
"Lord keep us mindful
of these dear days done."
|King's Mead School 1939-45 War Memorial
MICHAEL H AGNEW, Sub-Lt RN
Sir ROBERT D ARBUTHNOT, Major 9th Lancers
PAUL F BASSETT-WILSON MC, Capt 9th Commando
JOHN O H BEAMISH, Capt Royal Bucks Yeomanry
The Hon PATRICK H S D BUTLER, Capt Scots Guards
ANTHONY D COPLESTONE, Pilot Officer RAF
JOHN DEARDEN, Pilot Officer RAF
ALGIE DORRIEN SMITH
RICHARD DORRIEN SMITH
PETER FORTESCUE, Viscount Ebrington
PETER E ELDRIDGE, Pilot Officer RAF
GREVIL C ELLIOTT, Lt King's Royal Rifle Corps
IAN H B ENGLAND
EDWARD DAVID, Viscount Fincastle, Capt
RICHARD HUDSWELL GILL
NIGEL GRAHAM, Lt 10th Hussars
Sir ARTHUR L GRANT
G B DUDLEY GREENWOOD, Flying Officer RAF
P RODERICK HALL, Lt Fleet Air Arm RN
DAVID H A KEMBLE MC, Capt Scots Guards
GEOFFREY C T KEYES VC MC, Lt Col Royal Scots Greys 11th Commando
DEREK C MacCAW, Flying Officer RAF
J A MacDONALD, Capt Cameron Highlanders
DENIS C PEARSON, Lt The Buffs
FREDDIE F PEPPER
MICHAEL E RYAN
CHRISTOPHER E W ROBINS, Capt RE
DAVID R SLADEN
JOHN A SOMERSET, Lt Coldstream Guards
WILLIAM E SPOONER
R M STEPHENSON, Sgt The Devon Regt
THOMAS M TEW
JOHN A TINNE, Squadron Leader RAF
The Hon HUGH TRENCHARD, Lt Grenadier Guards
ANTHONY A VICKERS
DEREK P WATSON PARKER
PATRICK I WATSON PARKER, Sgt Pilot RAF
TOM P WALSH, Flight Lt RAF
Full names and ranks are not shown on the memorial itself. They have been copied from photos of the inscriptions which had been on the window-cills
of the School Chapel; it was demolished in 1968.
|School Chapel: other King's Mead memorials.
In affectionate remembrance of
CHRISTOPHER COLLAN MORCOM
July 13th 1911 - February 13th 1930
King's Mead 1922-1925
Scholar of Sherborne 1925-1930
Major scholar elect
of Trinity Coll., Cambridge
"In short measures life may perfect be"
ARTHUR R. BREWER,
for devoted and loyal
service to King's Mead
from 1918 to 1951.
Also of his daughter
from 1951 to 1968
A friend to us all
Glory of God
and in proud memory of
JOHN WINTON SHILCOCK
Lieutenant 5th Battn The Queen's
Royal West Surrey Regiment
died of wounds in Mesopotamia
23rd November 1915.
1892 - 1966
Headmaster of King's Mead
for thirty-three years.
This chapel is his inspiration.
Missing from this collection is a plaque for
Seaford Museum & Heritage Society holds photograph albums and the plaques from the school (as shown here). Additional initials and forenames from the plaques have been included, and the inscriptions are taken from these surviving records.
For further information about the Memorial Garden, the names honoured and the school, see the King's Mead Memorial page and school website.
The windows in this chapel are
a memorial to the honoured
memory of the Old Boys of
King's Mead who fell in the
War 1939 - 1945
In affectionate memory of
ARTHUR McDONOUGH CHAPMAN
February 8th 1874 - July 4th 1933
A helper and friend to all
King's Mead from 1924 to 1933
(Buried in Seaford Cemetery C8-870)
This organ was re-built in 1964
in affectionate memory of
HORACE F. WATLING frco, lram,
organist and choirmaster at King's Mead
from 1934 until he died on the
4th June 1959.
|© Seaford MI Group 2013-2020